WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   World Wrestling Entertainment (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Goldust responds to criticism.... In the worst way possible. (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=337993)

Wildcat66 09-28-2017 09:11 PM

Goldust responds to criticism.... In the worst way possible.

Depending on who you hear; WWE can either be doing really good or really bad. But everyone can agree on this: Fall is usually the weakest season of the WWE schedule. The NFL usurps them in the ratings, crowd attendance and ticket sales is usually down (this year has been especially bad from what we've seen) and overall: Things in WWE are usually their weakest this time of year.

Naturally, there are bound to be fans that are critical of the company and it's product during this time. This is about the most obvious thing in wrestling since the death of kayfabe.

But there are rare occasions when the people in WWE respond to the critiques. Some good, some...not so much.

As you can guess: This is one of those rare occasions. As reported by Cageside Seats, Goldust responded to what a fan had to say...and the results have been polarizing.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...ns-complaining

My Opinion: Before anything else, let me say that I have no problem with Goldust's opinion. (which boils down to: 'You can't always get what you want') I think sometimes fans tend to get fixated on what they want when they don't recognize that there are some things the product has that are good. (Main event scene of RAW is good, Kevin Owens is having a career renaissance and Styles proving to to be a really good U.S champion are just some examples) Some talents they want to be pushed will not get that opportunity, maybe not for the right reasons; but they are what they are and sometimes, it's for the best that they aren't.

However, Goldust went about this in the worst way possible.

I can't imagine fans actively trying not to enjoy the product: If they did, they wouldn't be watching WWE, they would be watching something else. When people watch RAW, SmackDown or even a PPV; they want to be entertained, if fans don't think they are being entertained: They won't watch. Simple as that.

This sort of argument, telling someone to 'suck it up' only serves to alienate someone rather than help. (Admittedly though, there is a way you can make it work. But it's not easy) Who knows? He might have actually chased a fan away because of his comments.

Overall, I can understand the overall message Goldust was trying to send, but the way he tried to send it was not the right way to go about it.

Dmbfantomas 09-28-2017 09:15 PM

I agree with Goldy here. So many of these stupid fans come and try to make the show about themselves, and try to crap on things to think they're smarter than everyone else. I hate them almost as much as I hate strawberry ice cream without real strawberries in it.

#GoGoldyGo

Mr.Maikeru_Sawyer 09-28-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmbfantomas (Post 5749327)
I agree with Goldy here. So many of these stupid fans come and try to make the show about themselves, and try to crap on things to think they're smarter than everyone else.

I totally agree with Dustin here too. At times I despise what WWE does but I usually don't come here or other wrestling sites and whine about it as much as many seem to. If you don't like what they are putting on TV take a break from watching for a month or two. I do it all the time. only keeping up by reading the results pages on Wednesday afternoon.
Quote:

I hate them almost as much as I hate strawberry ice cream without real strawberries in it.

haha, made me remember the jammed radar scene in Spaceballs.
Strawberry ice cream without real strawberries insn't Strawberry ice cream in my eyes, it's just vanilla ice cream with fake strawberry syrup mixed in.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. 09-28-2017 11:08 PM

You can't try and enjoy a product. You either enjoy it or you don't. And if you don't, you either leave it (if we're talking for a series) or you complain, because you don't really want to leave it. Of course WWE can't be 100% entertaining. Some stuff is, some stuff isn't. But what Goldust is saying is ridiculous. The entire bussiness is moving slow and Dustin wants us to "try and enjoy"? Dustin, nothing is currently moving forward. What future? The future has been coming for 3 years now.

Go on and say, if you don't like it don't watch it. Well, it's gonna happen if they continue that way.

tdmoon 09-29-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat66 (Post 5749325)
Depending on who you hear; WWE can either be doing really good or really bad. But everyone can agree on this: Fall is usually the weakest season of the WWE schedule. The NFL usurps them in the ratings, crowd attendance and ticket sales is usually down (this year has been especially bad from what we've seen) and overall: Things in WWE are usually their weakest this time of year.

It's odd reading that fall is now a weak season for professional wrestling. Used to be it was a high point, with most promotions building to some of their biggest cards, many of which were held on or around Thanksgiving. The end of autumn brought us Starrcade, WCCW's Star Wars, Survivor Series, Halloween Havoc, Mid South holding big cards at the Superdome, etc.

shooter_mcgavin 09-29-2017 01:41 AM

Sure there are fans that are insufferable especially with the internet (but hey that happens not just in Wrestling) though Goldust's response does want me to bring a certain point.

Does anyone find the "If you don't like it don't watch" or "Stop complaining and enjoy the product" company line very arrogant?

I guess we should state the obvious that with the ratings and low attendance that is actually what is happening. Many are turning out of the product.

The other problem I have is that I was fan of the WWE during the mid 90's and the WWF, at the time, would never say those things to their fans. In fact WWF and even Vince McMahon encouraged the fans to speak their own mind, express themselves, and even acknowledge that they are listening to the response of the fans.

I am pretty sure that during 1997 WWF would never tell their fans to "If you don't like it don't watch" or "Stop complaining and enjoy the product".

It's actually quite sad to see how the WWF has changed their positions on fan reactions over the last 20 years. It went from "yes express yourselves" to "we want to control you and if you don't like what we present then too bad".

Quote:

I agree with Goldy here. So many of these stupid fans come and try to make the show about themselves, and try to crap on things to think they're smarter than everyone else. I hate them almost as much as I hate strawberry ice cream without real strawberries in it.

#GoGoldyGo

I think you are taking the situation out of context. The tweet Goldust was a result of Twitter response from a fan. Thus this has nothing to do with a fan's reaction during an actual live event.

d_henderson1810 09-29-2017 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat66 (Post 5749325)

Naturally, there are bound to be fans that are critical of the company and it's product during this time. This is about the most obvious thing in wrestling since the death of kayfabe.

But there are rare occasions when the people in WWE respond to the critiques. Some good, some...not so much.

As you can guess: This is one of those rare occasions. As reported by Cageside Seats, Goldust responded to what a fan had to say...and the results have been polarizing.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...ns-complaining

My Opinion: Before anything else, let me say that I have no problem with Goldust's opinion. (which boils down to: 'You can't always get what you want') I think sometimes fans tend to get fixated on what they want when they don't recognize that there are some things the product has that are good. (Main event scene of RAW is good, Kevin Owens is having a career renaissance and Styles proving to to be a really good U.S champion are just some examples) Some talents they want to be pushed will not get that opportunity, maybe not for the right reasons; but they are what they are and sometimes, it's for the best that they aren't.

However, Goldust went about this in the worst way possible.

I can't imagine fans actively trying not to enjoy the product: If they did, they wouldn't be watching WWE, they would be watching something else. When people watch RAW, SmackDown or even a PPV; they want to be entertained, if fans don't think they are being entertained: They won't watch. Simple as that.

This sort of argument, telling someone to 'suck it up' only serves to alienate someone rather than help. (Admittedly though, there is a way you can make it work. But it's not easy) Who knows? He might have actually chased a fan away because of his comments.

Overall, I can understand the overall message Goldust was trying to send, but the way he tried to send it was not the right way to go about it.

Yeah, no one ever watches the product to pick it apart.:rolleyes:

You must be new to Wrestlezone, because that is most of the people who post here. Criticising the product, while actively watching it, so that they know what to criticise this week.

People can take or leave the product. The thing is, people threaten to quit watching all the time, but this many years later, here a lot of you are, still whining.

wrestlingmasters55 09-29-2017 04:21 AM

I wrote about this on another thread and I agree with goldust on this. They're are fans that just watch wwe because so that they can complain afterworth. They how they have fun with the wwe product. They don't really hate the product but they love to bitch about it afterworth because they think fhey know better then the peoples in charge of the company just because they read stuff on the internet and listen to podcast like THE LAW and the wrestling observer.

While I don't cares you if fans complaint about the product, that's their right but at the same time if you complaint constently about the product, why are you still watching. You could be watching any other product the fit more your taste. So go and stop wasting your time on watching a product that you don't like and go watch somethimg you will actually like.

Dave 09-29-2017 05:43 AM

Truth be told, I've stopped watching the TV shows every week. I still watch highlight shows on YouTube but that's about it. I watch the PPV's on the Network too, I guess. But the fact of the matter is that the WWE seems content on being boring at this point in time. There are some good things going on but it definitely seems, at least to me, that the WWE realise that autumn is their weakest time of year and are content with allowing that to be the trend. Instead of surrendering in the ratings to the NFL, the WWE should be trying to wrestle some of those fans back (no pun intended). There was a time when Raw was genuinely unmissable. And this is not a post pining for the Attitude Era to return. This is more me realising that I have been missing Raw and Smackdown for the last month or so and I don't feel as though I have missed much.

As far as Goldust goes, I respect his opinion. He is right in what he says, it is a TV show and you don't always get what you want. But the fact of the matter is that, like all other TV shows, you can be cancelled if people stop watching your programming. The WWE are a long way away from that point but if their live show tickets are anything to go by, it might be in the pipeline. Goldust has to remember that their needs to be a connection between the fans and the performers. Without one, the other will cease to exist.

JJohns 09-29-2017 10:40 AM

What people forget about the WWE product is that it's no longer just about fans. The average fan, attending a show, will plop down between $20 and $100 to get a seat, and add another $100 in Merchandise Sales. We will say the average family of 4 will provide WWE with about $300 for tickets and merch. Average house show generates between 1500 and 4000 tickets sold. We will go high end and say that it was a house that generated 4000 attendees.

WWE will generate BEFORE arena fees, pay for the talent, pay for the crew, and other taxes and fees, assuming the averages of 4 tickets plus $100 in Merch, around $300k. Again, this is Gross, not Net.

After paying for everything involved, WWE might net a third of that.

Now, on the flip side. WWE Live Tours are usually sponsored by a company other than WWE. Might be WWE2K18 the Video Game, might be KFC, might be Mattel, might be snickers. They could be getting anywhere between $10k and $100k per show for these sponsorships.

Tell me, who would you rather listen to...the guy from the Internet that spent maybe $300 on the show, and an additional $120 for the WWE Network...or the sponsor that pays upwards to seven figures a year on sponsorships?

So I completely agree with Goldust. Try to enjoy the show. Not enough of you are turning the channel to make a difference.