WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   Impact Wrestling (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Impact Wrestling Rebranding as Global Force Wrestling After Slammiversary (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=334335)

It's Damn Real! 06-30-2017 04:12 PM

Impact Wrestling Rebranding as Global Force Wrestling After Slammiversary

Quote:

In a move designed to distance itself from the financial struggles and legal drama that hung over its brand, Anthem Sports announced last week it has purchased Nashville-based Global Force Wrestling.

The move signals the end of TNA, the professional wrestling league that once served as home to legends Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair and as a launching pad for future stars A.J. Styles and Samoa Joe.

Anthem Sports, the Canadian company that also owns the Fight Network, will rebrand its wrestling league as GFW and Nashville native Jeff Jarrett will helm the creative aspects of the promotion. Its staple weekly program on Pop TV will continue to be called “Impact.”

The rebranding comes almost 15 years to the day that Jarrett and his father Jerry Jarrett launched TNA. The wrestling promotion ended up under the control of Dixie Carter, endured a turnstile of cable television partners and garnered negative headlines for unpaid bills, unpaid talent and state tax liens.
Quote:

"We're a global brand," Jarrett said of the rebranding. "We have partnerships in Mexico, Japan, other places. Collectively coming together, we've combined forces and basically the rebrand final touches happen (on Sunday) at 'Slammiversary.'"
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...medium=twitter

--

The day is finally here. TNA/IW is dead. Kind of. ;)

In the meantime, I'd be remiss not to point out the hilarity of Impact acquiring the company that they'll now adopt the brand name of. Isn't it supposed to work the other way around?

wrestlingmasters55 06-30-2017 04:55 PM

In a way, it might be good for them to Rebrand but i'm not sure how good it his to rebrand as Global force wrestling since while it's reputation as a brand isn't as bad as TNA, It's still not great. Just look at how the GFW brand was treated by TNA last year in that stupid invasion angle they had, not to mention all the others dumb ideas that jarrett had last year to get the word out about the promotion.

The other problem i can see hapenning is with their current TV deal on POP TV. I'm no lawyer but i'm thinking that a rebranding might violate something in their current contract since they didn't sign to air Global force Wrestling but TNA Impact wrestling and even if it's just a name change, it's still not what POP tv signed for.

Finally, this could hurt their fan base at this point, If you change the name of the product, fans might not want to give it a shot because it's not the product they know, it's something new and i don't see why you would take the brand they love so much away from them just to try and please advertisers. The ratings where starting to grow a little bit. The thing is, TNA is pretty much owns by business peoples that have no knowledge of wrestling, they know money and they treat the product like that. So to them it's all about making a profit so if rebranding is a way to make money with the company, that's good but don't forget, the last time a company own by a business rebranded, they went under and vince bought them out, so while i don't want to see them go, it's a really huge gamble they are taking.

It's Damn Real! 06-30-2017 05:10 PM

I don't think the latter point is an issue. TNA/IW have had, in effect, the same audience of roughly 350,000 viewers from the death of the Spike TV deal to the potentially dying days of this POP TV contract. Almost nothing has changed on that front on an average scale, even if some weeks they're able to get bigger pops than others.

The POP TV deal might be an issue, and Jarrett actually spoke at length about "wanting to be on television in 2018" in this SI article published a few hours ago:

Quote:

Before Jarrett was asked if he would consider airing Impact as a live or bi-weekly live television show, or even if there are plans to ever add an online streaming service, he was first queried as to whether Impact would remain airing on Pop TV starting in January of 2018.

“We want to be on television in 2018,” confirmed Jarrett, who did not specify a network to air Impact. “And I’d love to go live. Success will dictate that. It is no secret that the whole industry is moving toward video on demand, but there is nothing like a live experience and feel. Watching wrestling live completely changes the experience, and that is a major reason why we are going back on the road for live shows in August.”
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...sary-interview

--

I wonder if it's a prelude to another television contract hunt?

Weems2k 06-30-2017 10:13 PM

I think Global Impact Wrestling would be a better name to be honest. They can market that they will be worldwide while making an Impact on the wrestling business.

MWRedskins 06-30-2017 11:08 PM

Well, i thought the name would be called Impact Wrestling, BUT i'm all for rebranding it as GFW. the name TNA has all sorts of bad in it from it's company history to even what the name is a play off of and likely keeps sponsors away from it because the name TNA sounds bad to them.

as for GFW rebranding...hopefully it rebrands with new championships because if (after Slammiversary) they are using the old GFW Championships, then some fans may roll their eyes at them. TNA maybe a dying name, but the championship is amazing and i think a similar championship should be used. the X-Division shouldnt die (just get a new championship) and if GFW gets rid of the Grand Championship, then hopefully they create a new midcard championship.

Lowdown 07-01-2017 01:14 AM

To me, the Global Force name has a negative stigma as a failed promotion. It never really gained any traction to my knowledge, at least beyond the shows that they did in Vegas. On the other side, TNA/Impact needs to distance itself from its continuous negative stigma. I just feel that a new name would make sense altogether instead of the Impact changing into GFW outright.

the_peoples_adam 07-01-2017 01:22 AM

This is great..The only thing they should do now is sign CM PUNK and tie up with NJPW..

filthyanimalz 07-01-2017 04:41 AM

I hope Slammiversary is awesome and serves as a great first up PPV for GFW with some surprise appearances.

wrestlingmasters55 07-01-2017 05:46 AM

I think that a name change won't do anything if they continue to put out show like last week show. Out of a 2 hours show, you had 1 hours 15 minutes of slammiversary pakages to urge you to buy the ppv. It was so annoying that it had the opposite affect for me and made me want to skip the event on sunday and wait to read the results

The weird thing is that anthem ae thinking more as businessman and less as wrestling guy and when you take that perspective it's risky. The fact is, a rebranding is really complicated to do, just look at wcw as exemple. They rebranded from nwa to wcw and had alot of problems to get it started for a few years before finally hitting it big and then ultimate fail.

If they think a name change will change something and don't see it making that much of a change. They really need to change the overall presentation of the show, when they bring in new guys, actually introduce them to your audience and give us a reason to care about those new guys because not everybody is watching those b-level international promotions like crash and noah. Not everybody is watching AAA so when you bring in guys from these promotion and don't promote them, it made them look like job guys and sadly it makes their product look weak.

Rainbow Yaz 07-01-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowdown (Post 5716019)
To me, the Global Force name has a negative stigma as a failed promotion. It never really gained any traction to my knowledge, at least beyond the shows that they did in Vegas. On the other side, TNA/Impact needs to distance itself from its continuous negative stigma. I just feel that a new name would make sense altogether instead of the Impact changing into GFW outright.

This was my thought process. TNA had the stigma surrounding its name, so it would make sense they would want to rebrand. GFW though, is already largely viewed as a joke. Jarret spent so much time building partnerships with various lower level global promotions and nothing ever came of it. He spent a lot time talking up how they were going to have TV tapings in Vegas because a network wanted an actual product and not just a string of live events at minor league baseball stadiums, and then no network picked them up after said tapings. The belts they established are a joke. Last I checked, The Bollywood Boys were still listed as GFW tag champs. Then there was the whole Global Force Gold scam/Ponzi scheme. The GFW brand is arguably a bigger joke than what TNA was. This whole deal just reeks of Jarrett trying to get "his brand" over and back on TV.