WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   The Wrestling Archives (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hulk Hogan Not Happy With Not Having Champion for UK Tour (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=250295)

Jack-Hammer 02-24-2013 01:24 PM

Hulk Hogan Not Happy With Not Having Champion for UK Tour

Like others, I've been pretty critical of Hogan at times. That's not to say that Hogan doesn't have good ideas, make points or express opinions that I personally agree with.

Hogan has given an interview to Fighting Spirit Magazine in which he admits to preferring Bobby Roode as TNA World Heavyweight Champion instead of Jeff Hardy. Hogan's interview is a six page spread in the magazine but this was the little spot that will have some people talking.

"Dixie runs the company, but if it was up to me and it had been my decision, Bobby Roode would have been a great champion to have right now. The (UK) tour plus a champion makes sense; a tour with no champion doesn't make sense. [But] I choose my battles; some people look at the picture differently to how I do."

Personally, I've been less than thrilled with Hardy as TNA World Heavyweight Champion. I get that he's wildly popular and that he's said to bring in a lot of merchandise sales for TNA. He's also a lot of fun to watch inside the ring. I'm just not really all that into the guy. He's been fortunate, thus far in his 3rd title run in TNA, to have been put into feuds against wrestlers, such as Bobby Roode & Austin Aries, who've been able to carry their weight plus his when it comes to the build up of their feuds. He has another opponent now in Bully Ray who will be able to do the same thing because Hardy is wretched on the mic.

I also understand where Hogan is coming from as it refers to the UK tour. TNA does good business in the UK and it's extremely unusual to have someone whose both wildly popular, as Hardy is, and is the TNA World Champion simultaneously to not be on the tour. We still don't know what the deal is as far as Hardy missing the tour. Could it stem from issues surrounding his past legal troubles? Is Hardy legally allowed to leave the country? Did he just not feel like going and persuaded Dixie to give him some time off?

The Dragon Saga 02-24-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer (Post 4346291)
We still don't know what the deal is as far as Hardy missing the tour.

Actually Jack we do, he's still on probation for his past issues, he isn't allowed to leave the United States for another year until his probation for past offenses ends.

On the Hardy/Roode battle on who should be champion, despite Roode's reign being entertaining and different especially due to its length and the fact it brought some measure of prestige to an otherwise crappy title, did Bobby actually draw any money? Did Bobby increase ratings? Did Bobby sell any merchandise during his time as champion?

Hardy we know does make the company money, he does sell t-shirts, he doesn't increase ratings but Impact Wrestling probably wouldn't no matter whose champion. PPV buyrates last year increase by a small percentage so at least Bobby can hold that to his chest, but Jeff from a business standpoint is a better suit for the job.

Should the champion have been on an international tour representing the company, as Roode had done the year before? Yes. But it's irrelevant now because the tour happened and Hardy wasn't there. They've already moved on, Hardy's next challenger is Bully and Bobby is running with Aries as tag team champions.

dotty_84 02-24-2013 02:10 PM

I hope people don't get up in arms about this, he's pretty much spot on the money. It makes sense UK is great for TNA no doubt they made a good bit off of their fans, and the Champion should be on tour especially with TV tapings taking place.

Maybe Bully Ray can spring a surprise and take the title, he's been great for over a year and something new for him and possibly adding depth to the A&8's storyline too.

Tripleb2k1 02-24-2013 02:32 PM

to correct you, its not that he's on probation...if you have a criminal record, you have to be granted a pardon to travel outside of USA. which WWE has had to do with R-Truth, Viscera, MVP, etc...

Max220298 02-24-2013 02:40 PM

I have to agree with Hulk Hogan on this one which is quite upsetting because I'm certainly not a Hulkamaniac. But hey. Jeff Hardy as the TNA World Heavyweight Champion makes sense because he is wildly popular at the moment and has been for the most part since 2008, but if he can't make the UK Tour, which is perhaps the most important tour for TNA, then why is he champion? All champions should be people who are able to appear at anytime necessary, and represent the company worldwide. A company like TNA who needs to best exposure possible needs a great world champion to represent them, go round the world, do interviews and do shows.

This is quite funny actually, because the WWE are doing the same thing right now. Why is The Rock WWE Champion? Actually, this situation is even worse. Jeff Hardy is on every TNA show possible, but The Rock can't even make it to Raw, so those TNA fans upset by this, all I'll say is it could be worse.

Problem is, Jeff Hardy is on that probation shit, so it isn't necessarily his fault. If he could go over to the UK, he would do. This shows, however, how much TNA want Jeff Hardy as champion. As much as I dislike Dixie Carter (I dislike a lot of people), she has shown here that in a tough situation like this one, she has made a tough desicion and kept Jeff Hardy champion. She didn't have to, she could have dropped it from him, but they didn't because they obviously have some big plans for him. If not, why keep it on him only to take it of him on the next PPV? This may be a show of good things to come if TNA is so keen to keep the title on him.

Rayne 02-24-2013 02:57 PM

This is one of those times where Hogan is completely right. A tour without a champion? The belt is a prop. It makes people think that a match is more important than it is. So why didn't Jeff drop the belt to someone before the tour? There is absolutely nothing stopping TNA from putting it back on him when they come back stateside.

TNA really seems to be phoning it in lately. Sending out a tour without a champion almost says that they don't care much if the fans care much; they're going to tape a package, put it on their website and make it look like 30,000 screaming fans are awaiting them overseas anyways, so why go for broke?

It's Damn Real! 02-24-2013 03:13 PM

Yeah, I'm with Hogan on this one. The moment they knew Hardy wasn't going to be able to make this tour, he should have dropped the title to a guy like Aries or Ray or Roode — whoever. Anyone who was eligible to make the trip, who could have represented the company as it's most coveted and sought after champion.

Just an awful decision, honestly, especially if they had any inkling that Hardy re-signing wasn't going to be affected by the decision to take the title off him (temporarily).

You could have then gone into Lockdown with Hardy gunning for his title back, which I'd argue is always much more entertaining a Jeff Hardy to see than the one where he's defending it.

GameOver 02-24-2013 03:17 PM

Yeah have to agree with the old man. Can bitch and moan about HH and Bischoff but the fact of the matter is they have more experience and have brought some exposure to TNA that Dixie did jack shit for. She's brainless

Hardy is just an ok champion, he's not a legend and never will be, Bobby Roode and Austin Aries were great champions now resigned to comedy jobbing to each other, but even that is far more entertaining then Jeff on his best day.

You want to tour another country and attract more viewers you need your champions there, and if you're champ is a recovering druggy and you still insist on putting everything into promoting him at the cost of building you're own legends you suffer the consequences .

akathelaw 02-24-2013 03:31 PM

They're giving Hardy the storybook run they envisioned before, when he threw everything away at Victory Road. It's infuriating to watch as a fan, and a big reason I usually miss Impact. Hardy doesn't deserve it and his star power has cooled in the last few years. TNA needs to focus on new talent from the indies. They need to create stars, not polish faded ones.

RD_21 02-24-2013 03:39 PM

When Roode was the champion I felt he was the best champion in the business at that period and his belt meant more than any belt in the biz. Then Aries became champs and I started to watch less actively then before. Now that Hardy is the champ I am barely watching the show anymore.

So I agree on Hogan for his reasons, but on mine also, I wish they would take the belt away from Jeff.