WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   The Wrestling Archives (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nasty Boys Wrestlemania VII (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=248435)

Moneyinc 01-27-2013 01:05 PM

Nasty Boys Wrestlemania VII

What the hell happened here? Was Vince just trying to get Bret's solo career going or what? The Hart Foundation was seriously over with the fans. I know Nasty Boys were a legit Tag Team but Hart Foundation were damn near the best.

You guys are always good at giving the back stories, if there even is one at all. Where was Legion of Doom? Where was Money InC?(not sure that they were formed yet). Were Nasty Boys just the best choice if Vince had already decided Bret was going solo? Haha the Nasty's celebration with all the different guys Jimmy Hart manages was pretty great though.

And on a side note, the crowd at Wrestlemania 7 during the undercard especially is seriously hot. Rockers beating Haku and Barbarian with a great finisher and the crowd went wild first match. Then Davey Boy slamming The Warlord...I'm watching Nasty's and Hart Foundation now and this is about as good as it gets for tag team action. Always was dissapointed/shocked that Nasty Boys pulled it out. Still got Warrior Vs Macho and Hogan Vs Slaughter? One of the best Manias ever as far as complete card goes.

AhSpicyDrop 01-27-2013 01:19 PM

WM 7 is one of my personal favorites. I had a recorded copy on VHS as a kid that I watched all the time.

I think you answered your own question though; they wanted to break The Hart Foundation up and start Bret's would-be successful single's career. If I remember right Neidhart's body was banged up and he was wanting a lighter schedule so the timing was just right. There aren't many teams that have the credentials of the Hart Foundation so it's not like they were going to accomplish much more; if anything if they had stayed together they would have lost the opportunity to branch Bret off and cash in on their success in that role.

Ruthless-RKO 01-27-2013 01:25 PM

Well, i think a reason why Hart Foundation lost was to kick start Brets solo career.. But I also don't understand why Nasty Boys were the pick to take the tag titles.. Whilst it was a good match as well, Demolition, Legion of Doom, Rockers were all involved in their own matches.. Oh well, it seems like it was a decent business move..

They had a decent run with the titles only to lose them to Legion of Doom at SummerSlam..

THTRobtaylor 01-27-2013 01:40 PM

They had aborted a split the previous year when they "lost" the belts to the Rockers, Vince was keen to move Bret into the singles picture and according to Bret's book there were issues between Vince and Neidhart from a loan made to cover legal costs. Neidhart was gone and then was back, hence the flip-flop on the belts.

As for why the Nasty's got the nod, it was a way to set up the LOD for the titles, as they were over as faces and a feud with The Rockers wouldn't have been good in the ring. The Nasty's and LOD had fought before in WCW/JCP and had chemistry.

Moneyinc 01-27-2013 01:48 PM

So did Legion of Doom win the belts from Nasty's soon after?

berlinbrawler 01-27-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moneyinc (Post 4306725)
So did Legion of Doom win the belts from Nasty's soon after?

Yes, it all culminated in a street fight at Summerslam '91 when LOD won the belts.

thebarber 01-27-2013 05:01 PM

yes this has been answered pretty much by the above. The belts were switched to the Nastys as transitional champs to set them up for the LOD. Bret was ready to be pushed in single, thus the IC Belt win 4 months later at Summerslam 1991. Neidhart was always going to fall by the wayside(does anybody remember the masked character Who?????)

GameOver 01-27-2013 05:07 PM

they wouldn't do LOD vs The Hart Foundation cause that woulda been Face vs Face at Mania which to that date had only happened between Hogan and The Warrior. and the storyline was Jimmy Hart was still after years trying to screw the Hart Foundation for abandoning him and ofcourse they were the champs and he wanted that championship back in his stable, Nasty Boys were his choice. WrestleMania 7 was a lame PPV anyway other then Savage vs Warrior, seemed really thrown together at the last minute which i guess it was as they had to move locations due to a possible attack or something

justtxyank 01-27-2013 05:48 PM

Not sure what the question was originally though. Are you saying that the Nastys shouldn't have been in the match or that they shouldn't have won?

The Nasty Boys are currently one of the more underrated teams in history due to the negative view on their relationship with Hogan.

tpf926 01-27-2013 10:58 PM

The move to have the Nasty Boys win the belts from Hart Foundation actually turned out to be great though. Summerslam 91 was a loaded card. Perfect vs. Hart was a classic and WWE loves to show it over and over again. Nasty Boys vs. LOD was awesome. In fact I would say that it was the best match the Nasty Boys had in WWF and probably top 5 for LOD in WWF. Overall, the win by the Nasty Boys at Wrestlemania VII was a huge set up for the next Pay-Per-View. These big picture type build-ups are something WWE of today should really work on cause they nailed it back then.