WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   The Wrestling Archives (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The WWE should bring back Territories (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=246569)

BC1978 12-25-2012 01:21 PM

The WWE should bring back Territories

Eventually the WWE Network will become a reality and they'll need more programing.

Why not fund some territories or supply them with talent like they were doing with FCW. The territory system would allow Wrestlers to try out different gimmicks and work different styles of wrestling.

They could also treat the World Heavyweight Champion as the title all the promotions view as their champ.

New England Championship Wrestling
Eastern/Extreme Championship Wrestling (Dreamer) Hardcore
Mid Atlantic Wrestling
Carolina Championship Wrestling
Southern Championship Wrestling (Lawler) Rasslin
Florida Championship Wrestling
American Midwest Wrestling (Race/Greg Gagne) Mat Bassed
Texas All Star Wrestling (Funks)
Pacific Northwest Wrestling
Western Wrestling Association - Lucha Libre
Stampede Wrestling (Harts)
Maple Leaf Wrestling (Rougues)

Adalam 12-25-2012 02:40 PM

In theory it would be good, but I just don't think WWE has the financial income to support so many territories. They are doing fine the way they are anyways, so why retreat to an older model? No, the WWE doesn't need territories any more than people need two butts. Just makes no sense and is ridiculous to see. The theory is good, but theories always look good on paper, so we can't really assume they'll work out in reality.

Slyfox696 12-25-2012 03:33 PM

Why would the WWE take a huge loss on wrestling promotions which could one day become a competitor? That's beyond ridiculous.

The WWE has a development territory, that's all they need. They don't need to throw money down a black home, when there are much cheaper forms of television programming.

SunnyD 12-25-2012 03:53 PM

They clearly are going to be short on programming. I wouldn't bring back any territories, per se. I would expand NXT if/when the WWE Network comes around. I'm talking an NXT A-Show and an NXT B-Show.

I wouldn't mind seeing some better developed storylines come from the development either (same with regular programming, but that's not the point). Some traditional Survivor Series matches, cage matches, maybe even a smaller version of the Rumble. Whatever it takes to develop talent, and perhaps the almighty ratings.

justinsayne 12-25-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyD (Post 4266485)
They clearly are going to be short on programming.

How do you figure? They own all the following tape libraries
  • Capitol Wrestling Corporation
  • World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF)
  • World Wrestling Federation (WWF)
  • World Wrestling Entertainment
  • WWE
  • American Wrestling Association
  • Georgia Championship Wrestling
  • Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)
  • Eastern Championship Wrestling
  • Ohio Valley Wrestling
  • Deep South Wrestling
  • Florida Championship Wrestling
  • NXT Wrestling
  • Smoky Mountain Wrestling
  • Stampede Wrestling
  • Ultimate Pro Wrestling
  • World Championship Wrestling
  • Jim Crockett Promotions (which by the end included)
  • Eastern States Championship Wrestling
  • Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling
  • Central States Wrestling
  • Championship Wrestling from Florida
  • Championship Wrestling from Georgia
  • Mid-South Wrestling/UWF
  • St. Louis Wrestling Club
  • World Class Championship Wrestling
  • Maple Leaf Wrestling

Seems to me they have endless hours of content right there at their disposal to build tons of programming around.:shrug:

scomvp316 12-25-2012 06:04 PM

Me and my other wrestling junkies the other day came up with an idea if WWE has the financial resources. Instead of territories they should have a minor league system. First in junction buy DGate USA,ROH,and TNA. If they can't buy TNA this system could still work. Treat the other promotions as the minor leagues via A,B,and C. Have talent relations decide which promotion would be the like Triple-A like in baseball. Make those promotions if WWE can't buy them straight out sign a non-compete clause. Have those promotions still run the promotion as their own with little WWE influence. So when a certain talent does spend some time in FCW it would be much shorter and that talent could be used right away for Raw or SD. What do you fans think of having a minor league system for WWE as long as those promotions get to still run the promotion for the most part as they see fit?

BC1978 12-25-2012 06:46 PM

Problem is FCW/NXT is limited to Florida. If you think about how things used to work guys would work different territories w/ different gimmicks.

Take Charles Wright he bounced around from Soultaker, Sir Charles, Papa Shango, Kama, and finally hit it off with the Godfather.

Same thing with Scott Levy he went from Scotty the Body (PNW), Scott Anthony (GWF), Scotty Flamingo (WCW), Johnny Polo (WWF) and finally as Raven in ECW.

For all you guys saying the WWF has enough content for a TV Channel I agree that they do. But what gets better ratings. A live Boise State vs. San Diego State Football game or Notre Dame vs. Alabama from 1977 on ESPN Classics.

Is ESPN pulling big numbers with the AWA and UWF repeats?

Also it really wouldn't cost that much. The WWE could easily trademark a name like Mid Atlantic Wrestling then take a trip down to DC, Maryland, or Virginia and talk to the Promotions in the area and sign them to a deal where they'll produce programing and provide them with a few wrestlers.

kcordloh 12-25-2012 09:01 PM

I don't disagree with the idea, but unfortunately I don't think it will work.

1) Independent talent is rough these days. Even the promotions of highly regarded trainers are filled with really rough/green performers. This is understandable, I have heard that it's hard to get more than 30 bookings a year. When you think the old territory guys work that many matches in a month or two then it makes sense why they progress so slow.

It's nothing against the talent, but I have a hard enough time going to a local indepedent show and watching 2-3 hours of wrestling, let alone filling hours of my week watching it. I go to 1, maybe 2 shows every 3 months and that's enough for me. It's just not quality.

2) Internet/cable kinda kills the use other gimmicks in other territories idea. Youtube videos never die, and unfortunately fans are fanatics. Kevin Thorn never seemed to get past the Mordecai character, and he wasn't even very identifiable except for his height! If your "Josey Wisler" in one territory as a badass, and all over WWE Network, how are you going to move to another show on the same network and be "Justin Day" and a totally different character without people shitting all over it?

MattGuy28 12-25-2012 09:20 PM

I always though the Indys should sort of reform the NWA, have the NWA champion going from Indy Fed to Indy Fed and face the top guy in JAPW, PWG, DGUSA etc

Toroc102 12-25-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinsayne (Post 4266501)
How do you figure? They own all the following tape libraries
  • Capitol Wrestling Corporation
  • World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF)
  • World Wrestling Federation (WWF)
  • World Wrestling Entertainment
  • WWE
  • American Wrestling Association
  • Georgia Championship Wrestling
  • Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)
  • Eastern Championship Wrestling
  • Ohio Valley Wrestling
  • Deep South Wrestling
  • Florida Championship Wrestling
  • NXT Wrestling
  • Smoky Mountain Wrestling
  • Stampede Wrestling
  • Ultimate Pro Wrestling
  • World Championship Wrestling
  • Jim Crockett Promotions (which by the end included)
  • Eastern States Championship Wrestling
  • Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling
  • Central States Wrestling
  • Championship Wrestling from Florida
  • Championship Wrestling from Georgia
  • Mid-South Wrestling/UWF
  • St. Louis Wrestling Club
  • World Class Championship Wrestling
  • Maple Leaf Wrestling

Seems to me they have endless hours of content right there at their disposal to build tons of programming around.:shrug:

While it may seem like that they could probably run through all that in one year. They do need more than just old libraries, they need original content. Plus although I bet there's a lot of stuff on those tapes you could use I bet theres also a lot of stuff, like 50% of it atleast that no one is very interested in watching.

Anyhow, I don't feel like the question makes sense. Like, would WWE control these territories or would they just be helping out there competition out of the goodness of their hearts? Just a very odd question, WWE could not keep control of all the territories you listed, that would be called overextension. Imo, if they need more original content for this channel they should decisively end the draft merge SD and Raw completely back together, and expand NXT some more and make it WWE Networks flagship show.

Also, I'm on the skeptical side of this network actually getting done.