WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   The Wrestling Archives (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Non-WWE HOF members (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=245759)

PDepew2181 12-10-2012 09:53 PM

Non-WWE HOF members

With HOF talk getting more frequent as WrestleMania draws near, I noticed something as I look at the list of HOF members. Since 2006, the WWE has made a habit of inducting at least one, and usually more than one, person who did little or nothing as a performer for Capitol Wrestling/WWWF/WWF/WWE. It started with Verne Gagne, and continued with Nick Bockwinkel, The Sheik, Eddie Graham, Gordon Solie, The Brisco Brothers, Bill Watts, The Von Erichs, Antonio Inoki, Mad Dog Vachon, Gorgeous George, Stu Hart, Bob Armstrong, Abdullah the Butcher and Mil Mascaras. You could also count The Funks, The Four Horsemen, Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes in that category, since their impact was mostly in NWA/Jim Crockett Promotions.

So I wonder as to who else is out there that would fit this category whom they could induct. I came up with this list of names:
Baron Von Raschke
The Crusher
Larry Hennig
Lou Thesz
Wahoo McDaniel
The Rock 'N' Roll Express
The Midnight Express (whichever version)
The Fabulous Freebirds (include Jimmy Garvin)
Magnum T.A.
Ivan Koloff
Gene Anderson
Ray Stevens
Gene Kiniski
Stan Hansen
Bruiser Brody
Dick the Bruiser
"Dr. Death" Steve Williams

I'd have Ole Anderson on the list, but I think there's a better chance of Bruno Sammartino being in the HOF than Ole.

Does anyone think the names I mentioned aren't deserving? Or are there any other names that you think I've forgotten? I'd be curious to see other opinions.

Slash-LN 12-10-2012 10:10 PM

Just off your list I'd like to see The Rock N' Roll Express. They had a good following wherever they went and actually sold merchandise even when that wasn't a big thing to do.
I think they are one of the better tag teams in history that often seem to get forgotten because they were never big in the WWF or WCW. They still have a good history though.

fenderjapan 12-10-2012 10:18 PM

Stan Hansen is deserving of induction. One of the greatest of all time.

It will never happen but I would love to see Mitsuharu Misawa inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. He had one of the greatest wrestling careers of all time and was an inspiration to many of today's biggest stars. Unfortunately his in-ring death would be reason enough for WWE to avoid inducting him...bad press there.

Brewski 12-10-2012 10:25 PM

Seeing as Mil Mascaras was inducted last year I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more popular later japanese wrestlers were inducted too. Misawa and Kenta Kobashi would be shoe ins, maybe one time my personal favorite KENTA could be inducted too.

Taka Michinoku could likely go in because of his years in WWE even if he didn't have a stellar career in the states.

Wrestlefan73 12-11-2012 12:50 AM

To the OP, did you happen to notice the reason Verne Gagne was the first non-WWF/E guy inducted? Vince wanted to buy the AWA's video library, and he offered a HoF spot as part of the sell. Then, once Vince owned it, you saw several AWA stars getting inducted, as well as the AWA dvd. Then, Vince did the same thing with The Von Erichs and their World Class Championship Wrestling video library. Then, Mike Graham, and Florida Championship Wrestling's video library.

My point is Vince isn't "paying respect" as much as he is buying up classic footage to sell more DVD's.

Vince now owns most, not all, of the old territory days wrestling footage, so I doubt we will see too many more non-WWF/E guys get in.

Owen Hart needs to be added to your list as well!

dtroppe 12-11-2012 01:42 AM

I think the guys most deserving to be in the HOF are Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Sting, and Lex Luger. These guys were all top guys and certainly contributed more to the biz than most.

hugeheffner 12-11-2012 03:48 AM

The first name off that list that I would love to see inducted is The Midnight Express. The biggest roadblock is that there is little to no chance that Jim Cornette will ever be inducted into the WWE Hall, and you absolutely cannot put the Express in without him.

thebarber 12-11-2012 04:29 AM

for the WWE Hall of Fame to be even remotely respected, it needs Bruno Sammartino, Bob Backlund, Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior inducted. Only then will it have respect. Guys like Rude, Bundy, Demolition, Roberts, Rotundo, Elizabeth all deserve induction, as well as some of the legends mentioned by the OT. With Mania in Jersey, I see Mick Foley and King Kong Bundy being certanties to be inducted in 2013.

Brewski 12-11-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtroppe (Post 4245549)
I think the guys most deserving to be in the HOF are Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Sting, and Lex Luger. These guys were all top guys and certainly contributed more to the biz than most.

Mr. Perfect should be a shoe in, regardless of his drug problems. Honestly, I don't know why he isn't in already. Ravishing Rick COULD have been up there easily if his career wasn't cut short with that nasty back injury.

Warrior, who really should be abducted, has a relationship with Vince that I wouldn't exactly call peachy...

I'm afraid Macho won't be inducted for quite some time. While I could see why an argument for Angelo could be made, I can't personally think of a single aspect of "The Genius'" career other than throwing frisbees and reciting poetry. Maybe this was Savage's wish to have the family inducted but Lanny is going to hold them back

Sting too would be a shoe in if he would just ever wrestle a match in the WWE. Maybe one day it would happen.

The reason I picked your post to pick apart is Lex Luger.

I hope I never ever see Lex Luger even be considered for the hall of fame. What a talentless joke. He proved that anybody could be on top of the wrestling world in that era if they just had giant roided out muscles. It boggles my mind that he was one of the most popular wrestlers at the time for driving around in a bus and hitting people with his forearm, which btw is one of the top 5 worst finishers ever. His claim to fame was body slamming yokozuna, a ripoff of Hogan slamming Andre. I'll admit that picking up a 600lb guy is pretty impressive, but thats his one special achievement for his entire career. He didn't even win the belt after that, Yoko got counted out in their match. I've never seen a good Luger match, I've never watched the guy and thought he was special. ANY body body builder could have been Lex Luger. Factor in the domestic abuse and he's even worse.

I'll admit he did have a pretty cool name though.

dtroppe 12-11-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewski (Post 4245603)
The reason I picked your post to pick apart is Lex Luger.

I don't think any true wrestling fan has ever been a huge fan of Lex Luger. But he was a popular wrestler in general. He was a top guy in WWE and WCW at different points. His surprise appearance on the debut show of Nitro was a big starting point to what would become the Monday Night Wars. I am not a Luger fan- but when you look at some of the other guys already in the HOF, you have to admit Luger is a bigger name and was a bigger draw in the business.