WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   Old School Wrestling (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Montreal Screwjob (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=233705)

legendkiller1979 11-09-2012 06:41 PM

Montreal Screwjob

It's crazy to think that it was 15 years ago today when the Montreal screw job took place. I'm not here to debate who was right or wrong. That's been done to death. I consider this to be second biggest tragedy in wrestling history behind the death of Owen Hart.

I'm glad Bret and Shawn were able to patch up their differences. Bret's return three years ago was amazing and his interaction with Shawn was great. It was a huge heeling moment for me. I spent a lot of time hating HBK. Let me say again that I don't want to debate who was right or wrong. Everybody took a side and obviously I sided with Bret. I thought if Bret was able to forgive Shawn I could too.

I always wished that Bret wouldn't have left. He WCW career was a joke and was cut short by a concussion. If he wouldn't have had to go, he might have had a longer career.

I loved the NWO but they were the main reason Bret had to go. It was the NWO that lead to WCW crushing Raw in the ratings. This lead to the financial hardship for the WWF which lead to Bret having to leave.

I really don't have a point. I'm just marking the aniversery of the screw job.
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I wish it had never happened.

starkmoto 11-09-2012 07:57 PM

I guess, but then there would be no VKM character, the screwjob is pretty entertaining of a topic, it's something to talk about. I mean, if it didn't happen there would still be a wcw so from that point of view maybe, but the only bad thing about it was that bret got screwed, which sucks but c'mon we don't know for sure that he didn't expect it, and why not drop the title there after giving a great match, he should've just dropped it and got the hell outta the company. That's coming from a big hitman fan to btw.

HBsam31 11-09-2012 08:07 PM

Wow yeah it is hard to believe it was that long ago. As bad as a situation it was we got the Mr MacMahon character out of it, and some say it really jump started the attitude era. I think the saddest thing though was how mishandled Bret was in WCW. I was an avid watcher of both shows at that time, and I hardly remember Bret's time there at all. Then we all know about Goldberg giving Bret the concussion that ultimately ended his career. Just glad he and Shawn we able to put it behind them, and glad to see Bret on tv again from time to time. He is one of my all time favorites.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan, M.D. 11-09-2012 09:36 PM

Wow it has been a long time. I'm split down the middle honestly, I'm glad it happened because letting Bret go is one of the things that has kept WWE in business, on the other hand I wish it had never happened because not only did it screw up Bret's plans on retiring around 2000 in the WWE but it also messed his life up pretty bad ex: Goldberg kicking his head off. Bret could have done a few matches matches out of retirement for WWE like with Rock, Kurt Angle, and even Punk. I mean good matches not his terrible ones where he didn't do anything.

Baldy42179 11-09-2012 10:12 PM

As a die-hard Hart fan since his Hart Foundation days, I was crushed when the screw job happened. I couldn't believe that someone whom had basically carried the company for the past 5 years was just dumped like that (the mind of a teenager). Since I was also an HBK fan it was great to see them put it behind them after so long. I don't watch as much as I use to to many other things going on but made sure to tune in when that came on.

Albert T 11-09-2012 10:53 PM

Terrible shame. Vince is known for doing things like this to many of his talent in different ways and just shows that he has a very warped view of the world. I'm glad that Bret was able to get a few good years in WCW despite the lack of satisfaction he got out of it. He never should have had to leave, however. Hopefully, this incident is the last of its kind in WWE.

Azane 11-10-2012 03:24 AM

Controversey creating cash, while not always ringing true, I think rang true here.

The entire pace of the Attitude Era seemed to be set by the Montreal Screw Job, and I think a lot legitimate backstage heat fueled some of the edgy things we saw that helped propel the WWF through the Monday Night Wars era.

Without going into the details of why it was right or wrong, I actually am glad that it happened, as a young kid seeing it, I felt that it was a very strong story, and without knowing Kayfabe from reality, I took it for granted as being a real thing.

Without the screwjob, Bret would of still went to WCW, just a week later. I don't doubt that HBK would of continued being as great a star, because he really is an amazing entertainer, but I do think he would be down a little bit of star power overall.

My only impossible question, would Bret have done ANYTHING in WCW had he departed WWF more gracefully? My mind says no, WCW was just mishandling a legend, but I do have that idle part of my brain thinking the Screwjob influenced the way WCW was booking. I don't like when people blame the screwjob on Bret's eventual career ending injury to Goldberg, accidents happen, in a cosmic way it was related, but his chances of getting his head kicked off were the same if he had went to WCW without the MSJ taking place.

comrade_mario 11-10-2012 08:55 AM

I'm happy to see that both Bret and Shawn, and I think a lot of people forget about the effect on Shawn in this, were able to reclaim their careers.

The biggest tragedy of the lot is probably to those two guys' careers. For a long time it really did overshadow both of them, considering that they were the two greatest wrestlers of the 1990s that was a massive shame.

I really didn't like what happened, not even just as a Bret fan, as the idea of a boss thrashing a lifetime of work by one of his best employees like that is just a horrible situation. I've made the case before that the pitfalls of capitalism can almost be summed up in the Montreal Screwjob. That you can bust your ass year after year for a company but ultimately they can ruin your life by firing you and embarrassing you in the blink of an eye.

Reading Bret's book you can see how devastating it was. People forget, amid talks of a 20 year contract, that he wasn't planning on staying around much longer after the year 2000 as a full time wrestler. He had ideas of becoming an agent backstage and a part time guy. It was clear to me that the role he was really after was Pat Pattersons, as the guy to lay out the matches and the finishes, and I can't think of a better guy that would have been suited for that job to be honest.

Thankfully it has come full circle though and Bret and Shawn have put it behind them. I'm also happy to see Vince somewhat admit it was wrong to do it (saying he wouldn't do it again).

On a sidenote, my respect for Jim Ross kept rising throughout the years after the screwjob. Even ten years after it happened you would hear him stand up for Bret on air, even when it was clear Vince was barking orders to others (and probably JR) to knock Bret.

cwood115 11-10-2012 11:44 AM

The Montreal screwjob really pissed me off when it happened.Bret Hart was my favorite wrestler and he really got screwed big time!But looking back, I would have to say it was the biggest angle in wrestling history.You got the VKM character ,plus Austin verse VKM and that story got a lot of main stream media and is still talked about to this day!

CrucifiedRaven 11-11-2012 12:03 AM

The Greatest Rivalries DVD with Bret and Shawn talking about everything side by side was the ultimate healing moment for me. Gave me complete closure knowing that they've both been able to move on and get past it and can be friends again.