WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   Hogan Region (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=605)
-   -   Hogan Region, Toronto Subregion, First Round: (14) Stan Hansen vs. (19) Big Daddy (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=327831)

klunderbunker 03-16-2017 05:20 PM

Hogan Region, Toronto Subregion, First Round: (14) Stan Hansen vs. (19) Big Daddy

This is a first round match in the Hogan Region, Toronto Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

#14. Stan Hansen

Vs.

#19. Big Daddy

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Dmbfantomas 03-16-2017 06:35 PM

Stan Hansen was awesome. He put on more great matches than I can count.

Big Daddy fucking sucked. He put on 0.0 good matches.

Vote Hansen.

FunKay the Inevitable 03-17-2017 03:26 PM

Stan Hansen is someone I've never really been 100% what to make of. He's got one hell of a personality and is by all accounts legitimately tough and revered for said toughness, but is also a crazy, reckless madman who couldn't see any further than three feet in front of him. Even his greatest legacy in the United States is that he broke Bruno's neck by accident.

Big Daddy by contrast is the a-number-one draw in British wrestling history. We over on this side of the Atlantic often go on about how, if you were to ask some random punters (I.E. the general populace) to name a wrestler, depending on their age, they would say one of the following:

- The Rock - probably more so for his popularity and fame outside of wrestling
- Hulk Hogan
- Big Daddy

That's how much of an 'inedible mark on pop culture', a phrase WWE loves to use, Big Daddy had on the British wrestling scene. When his popularity waned, so did British wrestling's. He supported an entire industry, rightly or wrongly, on his back. He was the single biggest draw in the market and at his peak, drew the highest viewing figures in World of Sports history and higher than most of whatever its competitors put opposite it.

The Lariat's a legend for being the bad guy, for being the guy who hurts people, for being rough and ready. Big Daddy's the ultimate babyface who never loses, certainly not against villains of this ilk anyway. Hansen's finisher is to be feared and respected, but it was in Japan where it was unbeatable. We're in Toronto, Canada. Part of the Commonwealth, where the Queen is still the Queen and where Big Daddy will be cheered and spurred on to a victory over the detestable, notorious outlaw.

Hansen's not an idiot in a business sense either. See his match versus Hulk Hogan in the main event of Wrestling Summit where he bloodies and batters Hogan but ultimately succumbs to the good guy and bigger draw. Daddy is the bigger draw and Hansen, being the time tested veteran that he is will surely do the honourable thing. And so should you:

Vote for the man named Shirley. Vote for Big Daddy.

Bernkastel 03-17-2017 07:59 PM

Big Daddy was British wrestling. Period. He's synonymous with it. His greatest weakness in a tournament like this one is his lack of impact outside of his tiny Isle of a country. Hansen was an international superstar. He was famous in the States [AWA and WWE] and an icon in Japan. Easily one of the most popular gaijin [foreign] wrestlers in the country. If you compare the sheer scale of Hansen's popularity in Japan to Shirley Crabtree's in England, then Daddy wins. Try as I might, I cannot find any evidence of Emperor Akihito being a personal fan of Hansen. Both Queen Elizabeth and prime minister Margret Thatcher were fans of Big Daddy. That was the extent of his influence there. The common wrestling fan in Japan would know Stan Hansen. The common man in England would know Big Daddy. Even if they weren't wrestling fans.

The way I look at this match, I see a performer like Big Daddy who ignited and created a financial hotbed for wrestling in England that lasted for several years. Hansen was a huge star in Japan, but didn't have quite the cultural reach. If this was Daddy vs Inoki or Hogan I could exploit Daddy's lack of international impact, but I don't think it matters against a performer like Hansen.

Vote Big Daddy.

Hollywood Naitch 03-17-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmbfantomas (Post 5667269)
Stan Hansen was awesome. He put on more great matches than I can count.

Big Daddy fucking sucked. He put on 0.0 good matches.

Vote Hansen.

Hahaha!

It amazes me that Big Daddy was such a star in UK wrestling, i have NEVER seen anything that he did that was in the slightest bit entertaining. Fat and awful.

Hansen to smash Shirley's head off with a lariat to advance

enviousdominous 03-18-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunKay the Lesser (Post 5667605)
Big Daddy's the ultimate babyface who never loses, certainly not against villains of this ilk anyway.

That's weird, I know of two occasions where Big Daddy lost clean to Kendo Nagasaki, and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that those are the only two matches they ever fought. Albeit; Kendo snuck those wins after having his ass kicked for 90% of the match, but it didn't take much beyond knocking Big Daddy onto his back to score a pinfall.

Stan Hansen has beaten (and lost to) the likes of Jumbo Tsuruta, Giant Baba and Bob Backlund. Big Daddy fought the same usual bunch of World of Sport mainstays like Scrubber Daly and Giant Haystacks, and those matches were ALWAYS so damn monotonous that they could make The Great Khali look exciting.

If you put Big Daddy in the ring with Stan Hansen, Stan would probably go off script pretty damn quickly and split Daddy's forehead open with his fist. Meanwhile Big Daddy would be flopping around, attempting something that vaguely looks like offense until his own lack of coordination caused him to fall off of his feet.

Big Daddy is a big ole' adorable legend. Stan Hansen is a brawler who will make you earn whatever liberties you might try to take in the ring. This match is where Stan puts the rest of the tournament on notice that he's taking no prisoners.

Vote Stan Hansen.

enviousdominous 03-18-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernkastel (Post 5667709)
His greatest weakness in a tournament like this one is his lack of impact outside of his tiny Isle of a country.

That, and the fact that Big Daddy's losses to Kendo Nagasaki were early departures from tournaments. One loss was a first round loss, to a guy who wasn't noteworthy enough to make it into this tournament.

Big Daddy's greatest weakness in a tournament like this is that he actually has to fight people who've taken on much more mean and agile big men and won, not the least capable of which being Stan Hansen.

stingray11214 03-19-2017 01:29 AM

Big Daddy was a household name in his own home country. Period. Stan Hansen was votes the most respected gaijin in Puroresu history. Couple that with the AWA strap, and Big Daddy becomes Little Boy quite quickly. Vote the Bad Man from Borger, Texas, Stan Hansen.

nightmare 03-19-2017 07:05 PM

Big Daddy has earned my respect over the years thanks to this tourney. He was a damn charismatic motherfucker who gained a huge following and that is a big part of wrestling. He is quite a bit shit in the ring though. Like a sentient giant bag of potatoes.

Stan Hansen is one nasty man who will probably knock Big Daddy on his ass within the first few minutes. A bit of a brawl and two wobbly legs later... Big Daddy meets a huge lariat and that is all she wrote.

Tastycles 03-19-2017 11:27 PM

I have a new found respect for Stan Hansen this year, and was looking forward to voting for him for literally the first time ever. Unfortunately, I can't do that here. If we are to include the huge names from other wrestling markets in here at all, then the very biggest names have to go over the moderately successful. If this tournament is about North American and Japanese success only, then ok, but if Big Daddy is in, then he has to win here.