WrestleZone Forums

WrestleZone Forums (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/index.php)
-   Site Administration (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Want to be a recognizable poster on WZ? (http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=47390)

Slyfox696 05-15-2009 10:38 AM

Want to be a recognizable poster on WZ?

I routinely run through threads in the wrestling forums of Wrestlezone, and I see some very interesting and thought-provoking posts. The problem is, very few of them I recognize the poster behind them. So I got to thinking about ways to make yourself recognizable to others. Here are some suggestions, provided by one of the most recognizable members of the forum, and a many year veteran of message boards.

1) Signature Banner - A good signature banner is one of the easiest ways to be recognized. If you have a signature banner that is original and of good quality, then you will trigger automatic recognition from others from your posts. The easiest way to start getting yourself over is a unique signature banner.

2) Use an Avatar - I realize that Avatar options are limited, but, at first, find an avatar that you can cling to for a while. Whether it's right or not, posters tend to ignore posters who don't use an Avatar...for whatever reason, posters without Avatars are not taken as seriously. Until you build up a reputation for yourself, find an avatar that people can use to recognize you, and stick with it for a while.

3) Find something you are good at, and hammer it. For example, when I first got to WZ, I was known as the "Cena Defender", the guy who would find every Cena thread, and take on all people who said he sucked as a wrestler. That is how I first made my name. Find something that you know a lot about, have strong opinions about, and really go at it.

3a) If you aren't confident in any knowledge you have, adopt a gimmick. For example, Eternal Dragon ends all of her posts with "Flames Out", or something like that. Find something you can use that people will recognize you for. Don't pick a stupid gimmick though...people will red rep you to hell, and then you'll have a bad reputation. Another example would be my gimmick as a "Cena Defender" or as "The Tireless Debater". Find something you can hang your hat on, or find a gimmick that will make you stand out.

4) Use proper punctuation and capitalization, and don't butcher grammar and spelling. If you can write properly, the chances of people taking you seriously go up substantially.

5) Don't spam - Spammers don't last long, and even if you are knowledgeable, you can find yourself with a bad reputation early.

6) If you have a good sense of Internet humor, visit the Bar Room. People who are funny in the Bar Room find themselves with a good reputation early. If you don't have a good sense of humor, like Klunkerbunker for example, then just make your name with quality posts in the wrestling forums. People will take note.

7) Put time into you posts. People who just write the first thing that comes to mind, and don't put thought into their posts are just wasting your time. Craft your posts, and make sure you can support what you are saying. Put time into your posts, and there's never been a post that has been considered bad because it was too long. Put time into your posts.

These are all I can think of at the moment. As an Administrator and a "respected" member of the forum, I provide this tutorial in order to help the newer posters on the forum to make a name for themselves. If you have any questions, feel free to PM Klunker. Thanks.

IrishCanadian25 05-15-2009 11:12 AM

Sly, I'd like to both verify these great ideas, and also add one more.

I think the biggest mistake the rookie and mid-card posters make is that they follow many of the rules above, get good at a section, earn rep, and then for no reason other than boredom or curiosity, they change their name to something totally different, and lose all of their heat.

I never changed my name ONCE prior to becoming Admin. Never once. I was always "IrishCanadian25." Then, I started signing my PM's and infractions or warnings with "IC25," or speaking about myself in the third person using the "IC25" nickname. It caught fire, and then people started calling me "IC." Even though I prefer "IC25" so I don't get mixed up with a mid-card title belt.

With the sections, I got good at old school, and then, I carved out a gimmick - "The Best of the 90's." That series of threads launched me.

As for becoming "known" for something, I was known as the poster with the crazy vocabulary. The vocab words I use on WZ (epitome, harkens, harbinger, personifies, etc.) all kinda highlighted my posts.

When last year's WZ Tournament came up and I backed Vader with a vehemence (see: above, vocab word) rarely seen for a superheavyweight, and then the music tournament - well, that's my WZ resume in a nut shell.

Being a bar fly makes you "a regular," but as far as respected top posters, follow Sly's rules, make a name for yourself, and DON'T CHANGE IT EVERY MONTH! Becker. 48.7. TM.

BooCocky 05-15-2009 11:24 AM

I don't even know if I should post in here, but it's open and in the Cigar Lounge, so I will give it my best.

Some people on this board are known for like one thing. Like Slyfox said, he was the Cena defender, and when I joined WZ I knew that because of all the other boards he used to post on. We also have our ROH fans and Original ECW fans for some unknown reason. I always stuck to my gut. I became the defender of everything Pittsburgh, from the Steelers to the Pens, to the City as a whole. I just spit nonsense and everyone takes offense to that..

I am a bar room regular, and a sports stadium regular. I just have the ability to piss people off.

So, I can agree with what the people above me said, except for IC's name changing remark. I didn't change my name for like a year, and I way already an arrogant bastard before that, so everyone already knew me....

Pimpin 05-15-2009 12:45 PM

I agree with everyone's post in here as you kinda got to be known for a certain thing. For me after a month that I joined WZ & came back from being banned, I went to the Book This section of the forums & started up Hustlaz Championship Wrestling. I just kept putting my mind & my creative flow into it & pretty soon I became known as that poster who writes those great HCW shows & eventually all that made me improve myself as an overall poster as I normally post in everywhere except the bar room(I only post in there on occasion).

Basically what i'm saying is that to become a recognizable poster on here, just find your niche on whatever section it is & just start making valid threads & posts in there & it will be all good.

The Todd 05-15-2009 01:29 PM

Obviously I seem to lack every single point Slyfox has made, so thanks for the insight.

One query I have though is the avatar point. I have tried many a times to pick an avatar, but when I click on the link to do this, where each picture should be is a red x in the top corner meaning I can't see what the avatar is. Is there any way to sort this?

Apart from that, thanks for the time to show us how to improve. I will try working on it.

Little Jerry Lawler 05-15-2009 01:54 PM

I agree with #4 the most. Whenever I read through the different threads, I can always tell if it is Slyfox696, NoFate007, and IC25 (just to name a few) who use proper punctuation and grammar before even looking at their names. I have always used good punctuation and grammar so that my posts can stand out and make sure that are clear to the people that are reading them. If you take five minutes to disagree with somebody's opinion, you can at least take the time to use good grammar while you are doing it.

klunderbunker 05-15-2009 02:26 PM

Another option that you might want to try is the one that I tried: challenge one of the big names here. From what I've been told, I got noticed for the times when I first debated with Sly and for when I caught IC with an insult about Jericho. IC was shut down and I was on the map. There's no shame in losing a debate to someone with more experience than you have (it's really ok Sly. We still like the little broken pieces left of you after I beat you) as long as you put up a good fight. People respect hard debating. Just keep your cool and don't start insulting people and you'll get noticed.

RVDgurl 05-15-2009 03:10 PM

Sly, this is a great thread for newcomers. I've been around here for a few years and I notice alot of new posters making many of the mistakes that have been listed here. Everyone has given great ideas thus far. If I could throw my 2 cents in, I would also like to mention that calling people names (even as PG as "idiot") is not helpful. It doesn't get your point across more clearly and it borders on flaming. And please, for God's sake, use complete sentences. Making a post is not the equivelent of sending a text message. Spell out your words and use punctuation!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleury's_Glove_Hand (Post 1064745)
We also have our ROH fans and Original ECW fans for some unknown reason.

Hmmmm....I feel like I've been singled out...... ;)

It's...Baylariat! 05-15-2009 03:13 PM

It all boils down to knowing your stuff, having proper grammar, and not being stupid enough to insult people when you're beaten in debates.

And standing out. I'm known as the Huge Stan Hansen mark in the forum. IC25 has Vader, NorCal has Hogan, Sly has Cena.

Mr. TM 05-15-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock Lariat (Post 1065089)
It all boils down to knowing your stuff, having proper grammar, and not being stupid enough to insult people when you're beaten in debates.

And standing out. I'm known as the Huge Stan Hansen mark in the forum. IC25 has Vader, NorCal has Hogan, TM has Santino, Sly has Cena.

I think Rusty would argue that.

Also about the name change, I must say that I think people will recognize me even if I get a name change, for those who get a name change, make sure people know who you are when you do, because it can get confusing. I always keep the TM in mine.